Without doubt, the quality of any workplace is directly impacted by how well (or not) people communicate with each other! How people build relationships has a massive influence on how happy, effective and productive they are! Healthy Business Builder work with companies of all sizes across the world and the DISC model can be used with everyone in an corporate organisation, regardless of title or role, to improve the quality of the workplace.
DISC is the worlds’ most popular and validated personal assessment tool and, for over 40 years, organisations worldwide have embraced the language of DISC to deliver spectacular results. Applying the knowledge of DISC in the workplace is straight-forward and its benefits can include developing more effective managers and leaders, building cohesive teams, improved sales and customer service, enhancing communication and reducing conflict… to name just a few.
Healthy Business Builder conduct and facilitate Myers-Briggs Type Indicators or MBTI testing, we also provide D.I.S.C profiling and we use the best from both approaches to guide our clients through tailored solutions with positive outcomes. Testing the individuals and then delivering positive change through the combined teams. We quickly identify any areas for growth or increased communication and develop the tools to create a better mesh of individuals to lead, manage and sell
Our expertise and approach to training is unique and, unlike many in this market who look to complicate the subject, teaches people how to communicate more effectively without the need for a PhD in psychology. Our training is designed to help people gain a much better understanding of themselves (and importantly the impact that their behaviour and communication style has on others), explore what makes other people tick, and then based on this knowledge, show them how to achieve significantly better results by becoming more flexible and adaptable in their approach to others. Our “DISC-based” training courses are unlike anything you may have experienced before!
Why Use DISC Profiling?
Because DISC “personality” profiling gives you not only an understanding of how you are perceived by others, but it also gives you a language (or set of terms) to discuss your behaviour, communication, style of working and reactions. It is the ultimate ‘mirror on the wall’ that explains what everyone else can see: the surface level of who you are – your behaviour. DISC (Dominance, Influence, Steadiness, Compliance) is a complex model made simple by years of research and practice. It identifies behavioural styles that can open your eyes to improving your interactions with others.
DISC profiling is used by an estimated 75% of the Fortune 500 because of what it delivers to ensure all departments have the right mix of people tp deliver the company’s objectives. It continues to be the most popular choice for professional development as well as recruitment and selection. “DISC is the ultimate ‘mirror on the wall’ that explains what everyone else can see: the surface level of who you are – your behaviour.”
Considering DISC “Personality” Profiling for your Organisation?
If you are considering DISC profiling for your organisation, we would love to show you our assessments that include DISC that we have available at DTS International. This type of objective assessment help to determine job fit for candidates, provide tips and tricks for managers on their teams as well as provide a great model for personal development in the area of sales, service, communication, team building among others). Choosing to test candidates and employees is something that most of the top companies throughout Australia, New Zealand and the world participate in and we can help you implement an assessment based talent management strategy, regardless of size.
DISC Profile Testing in Australia and New Zealand
Healthy Business Builder works with Australia’s leading provider of DISC profiling tools, we and they have worked with many Organisational Development professionals to help them access the right tools to reach their organisational goals. The Success Insights Suite is a powerful set of tools for selecting, developing and managing people to maximise their performance.
What is the Theory?
The theory behind the DISC profile was developed by William Moulton Marston to categorise behaviour and emotions. Years later, the theory was shaped into the assessment that is used today. Simply stated, DISC profiling measures how we behave and communicate. One of the most powerful things about DISC profiling is the fact that people identify with the report almost immediately! People instantly recognise themselves in the profile. The real value comes from using this information to understand how to adapt to be more effective.
“Simply stated, DISC measures how we behave and communicate!”
This model has four factors based on two intersecting axes. The vertical axis ranges from “task/goal” focused behaviours to “people/relationship” focused behaviours. The horizontal axis ranges from “reserved” (or “ask/listen”) behaviours to “outgoing” (or “tell/talk”) behaviours. With these two intersecting axis, four quadrants emerge:
- Dominance (D) – How we deal with problems and challenges
- Influence (I) – How we deal with people and contacts
- Steadiness (S) – How we deal with the pace and consistency of the environment
- Compliance (C) – How we deal with procedures and constraints
“The most powerful thing about DISC is its simplicity.”
We all have some degree of each of the four behavioural styles (i.e. we are not just one type/style). Whether an individual measures “high” or “low” on the D, I, S or C spectrum, the behaviours are still visible and recognisable on the surface. Most people have two dominant styles; however any combination is possible.
Why DISC is NOT a Personality Test The DISC profile only looks at a small component of personality. It only measures behaviour, that is, the four common ways that people tend to act and communicate, which has been validated by more than 50 years of research. Calling the DISC profile a ‘personality test’ can be misleading as there is a great deal to an individual’s personality beyond the scope of this system, and the term ‘test’ implies you will pass or fail, which is not the case with the DISC profile.
Our DISC training solutions can be grouped in four main categories – Sales, Management, Leadership and Motivation.
Key DISC training benefits include:
1. Build Trust: Trust is the most valuable resource that a leader has. While there are many factors that will build or erode trust, the leader that recognises and responds to others’ preferred method of communication and approach to work will be in a much better position to gain the cooperation and commitment of those around them.
2. Better Communication: Understand the best (and worst) ways to communicate with each team member or customer.
3. Team Synergy: Team members will develop a better awareness of each other’s communication and work style, as well as their manager’s. By being able to predict other people’s natural responses to situations, they can learn to more quickly adapt to the situation themselves.
4. Self-Awareness: Help the leader understand how their behavioural tendencies might be perceived by others in the team (particularly those of the opposite style).
5. Assign Tasks/Clients: Understand which people are better behaviourally suited to certain types of tasks or certain types of people.
6. Prevent Conflict/Misunderstandings: The DISC model helps to reduce team conflict by providing a common language to discuss behavioural tendencies (which is particularly important to those with opposite styles).
7. Feedback is Validated: Team members will more readily accept negative feedback from a computerised assessment about their behaviours than they would if they were to hear the same feedback from their manager or another individual.
A typical DISC workshop facilitated by one of our expert DISC accredited coaches will cover:
1. Understanding DISC
2. How to get the maximum benefit from your profile
3. Building a coherent team;
4. Creating a platform for great communication
5. Understanding the strengths each member brings to the team.
Sample DISC Report Downloads
Infographics of DISC Explained
Images thanks to our DISC partners TTI Success Insights.
All Our Australian DISC Facilitators are Accredited ‘TTI Success Insights’ Multi Science Trained Professionals.
DISC Facilitation & Training – Sydney | Melbourne | Brisbane | Perth | Adelaide | Hobart | Auckland | Christchurch
Sydney Head Office: Ground Floor 111 Pacific Highway, North Sydney NSW Australia 2060.
Melbourne Office: Suite 2, 432 Smith Street Collingwood Victoria Australia 3066.